Donor Relations Officer
For the past twenty years, The American Veterans Center’s mission has been to preserve and promote the legacy of America’s military men and women, of every generation. A program of the American Studies Center, the American Veterans Center works directly with veterans to provide a forum for them to share their lessons and experiences with the public, and with future generations. Over the past several years, the AVC has experienced dramatic growth in our programs including the Center’s oral history collections, The National Memorial Day Parade and TV show and the Emmy Award winning television special: American Valor: A Salute to Our Heroes. These programs now reach millions of people each year.
The American Veterans Center is seeking a Donor Relations Officer, who will report to the VP of Development. For the first six months to a year principle responsibilities include (in order of priority):
- Supporting the VP of Development to help create new and build relationships with donors by scheduling in-person visits, making donor thank you phone calls, and writing thank you and other donor correspondences
- Managing relationships with current foundations
- Researching and suggesting new foundations to develop
- Overseeing the organization’s comprehensive planned-giving program
After six months to a year principle responsibilities include:
- Developing and managing relationships and fundraising with current and new donors through in-person visits, phone calls, and correspondence – (50%)
- Developing and managing relationships with current and new foundations (30%)
- Overseeing the organization’s comprehensive planned-giving program (10%)
Additional responsibilities include:
- Managing our donor database
- Working with the president to contact donors
- Overseeing one silent auction at our Annual Conference
- Other duties as assigned
The Donor Relations Officer will also spend part of his or her time working with the American Veterans Center’s sister organization, Radio America, the nation’s only conservative non-profit radio network. Tasks include:
- Writing, submitting, and managing grant proposals
- Developing and managing relationships and fundraising with current and new donors
- Help write and manage our email campaign
The ideal candidate will have:
- 0-4 years of experience; this is a junior level role.
- Fundraising experience or strong communication skills and experience in sales or a related field; relevant internships will qualify as experience
- Willingness/confidence to call donors and proactively cultivate relationships with them
- Outgoing, affable personality
- Strong writing skills
- Experience fundraising from individual and foundation or similar experience in a related field
- Great organizational and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel occasionally (expected travel: 10-20%)
- Ability to be individually motivated and handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge software and a moves management system is a plus
- Passion for the principles of limited government, free enterprise and the importance of our military
- Experience with planned giving a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position/the mission of the organization and salary requirements
- List of 3+ professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/. In the organization pulldown, please select American Studies Center.
Questions can be directed to Katy Ranville, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.